No matter what time of year you are preparing to renovate your home, you will be under extra stress, it’s even worse when those renovations are taking place during the holiday. Remodeling done in the months of November and December can come with a mixed set of emotions. You are thrilled to have the home improvements underway but are a bit ready for them to be completed so you can get on with the celebration aspect of the season.
To avoid emotions that are already on fire from turning into a full-blown boil it is important to manage your frustrations while preparing your space for the holiday you desire despite the holiday celebration happening around it. Obviously, there are greater issues when the renovation is of a kitchen or bathroom however, these basic tips will help you manage.
Managing Home Improvement Projects During the Holiday
- Include Your Contractor in Your Holiday Plans: This doesn’t mean inviting them over for dinner or purchasing them new tools for Christmas but instead making sure they know your plans in regards to having people over and when you will be using the space so that they know they have to clean up more appropriately.
- Be Realistic: Work in conjunction with the contractors and subcontractors to create a schedule to make sure you are all on the same page. This will also help contractors when hiring subcontractors as well as making sure tasks that need to be completed are when they need to be. For instance, if you need the toilet in the first-floor bathroom to accommodate company then it is important it is installed and ready before they are set to come over.
- Create an Environment of Honesty and Solid Communication: Don’t beat around the bush when communicating your expectations of requirements. Your contractor will tell you if the expectation is realistic or if your requests are way off base. This allows you to plan accordingly. If you find that something is not working how you thought it would and you need to reevaluate the holiday renovation it is crucial you feel able to do so.
- Set a Spot Aside for Materials and Tools When Not in Use: Holiday accessories already quickly clutter the limited space within your home with added company in the mix. The last thing you want is to have the renovation materials and contractors’ tools in the mix of any already chaotic space. To prevent this from occurring have a space to place materials and tools when they are not in use and company is expected. Of course, this is not something that should be expected on a nightly basis especially when contractors will be performing work the next day.
- Create Flexibility: All relationships are based on flexibility and so should the one that you have with your home improvement contractor. Everyone is working towards the same goal, you want your renovation completed in a timely manner with minimal stress and your contractor wants to please you and complete the renovation in a timely manner all with minimal stress.
The holiday season is stressful all alone let alone adding in a major or minor home improvement project. Working with your contractor will allow the two of you to manage this stress while allowing the holiday happenings to continue on around it without major disruption.
JFC Remodeling is a full-service licensed contractor out of Howell, Michigan. Specializing in kitchen and bathroom renovations, flooring upgrades, and home remodeling services. More information can be found online at https://jfcremodeling.com/.