In the science industry, animal biologicals are collected in a variety of ways and applied to research for different reasons. Commonly they are used to cure diseases while some specimens are preserved for future research. Amongst the various types of biologicals, the ones most frequently collected are animal serum & blood products, raw animal biological products, chicken tissues & organs.
Necessary Conditions to Collect Animal Biologicals
Before the collection of animal biologicals, there are a few conditions that must be met:
- Collection of Animal Biologics are taken from healthy organism
- Confirmation is important that the animal is healthy and free from any kind of contamination.
- It is vital to remember that specimens should never be collected from sick animals.
- It is also critical to check everything regarding parasitic contamination as it affects the integrity of the tissue’s sample.
- After the supervision of antibiotics, biologicals are collected within 21 days.
- The animal should not be subjected to any kind of stress. Quality of a sample from an animal under stress raises chances for the sample quality to be compromised.
- In order to study certain diseases like cancer diabetes, endocrine disease, and Alzheimer’s, biologicals are preferably collected from genetically modified animals.
- It is advised during the collection process that methods used cause minimum pain to the animal.
- Site Cleaning
Health measures must be kept in mind and maintained before and during the procedure. After collection, the place should be thoroughly cleaned. The work area must be properly disinfected and proper equipment should be used. The site should be disinfected using 70% alcohol. Proper disposal of any used syringes as well.
- Animal Biologicals That Need to Be Frozen
All specimens/materials collected that are intended to be frozen must be transported on ice to the nearby lab for further examination. It then should be frozen in a store where temperatures are maintained under 20-degree Celsius to decrease the risk of a virus developing.
Small animals must be stored at a moderate temperature for about 5 hours. For blood sample collections, various chemicals are used that are termed as anti-coagulants; sodium herapin, Sodium EDTA, Alsevers Solution etc. are a few.
Chicken red blood cells are collected from the wings veins of three different chickens and then mixed with anticoagulants. These chickens are housed separately from other chickens.
Use of Forceps
Forceps should be used to preserve small insects.
Collection of Widely used Growth Supplement
The widely used development supplement for cell culture media is fetal bovine serum. It has the highest rate of fast progression of embryonic growth. When used at appropriate concentrations, it supplies many defined and undefined components. These components have shown to satisfy specific metabolic requirements for the culture of cells.
Fetal Bovine Serum is collected in a sterile plastic bag and is allowed to clot. After separation from the clot, it is frozen. The crucial factor is controlling the initial collection to preserve the quality of final serum product, out of which only raw material is approved for production.
Tissues from various animals are preserved using 10% buffered formalin. For longer periods of time they are refrigerated under minus 100 degrees and for shorter periods they are kept at 40 degrees Celsius. With using the correct temperature range, they can use the preserved specimens later for long-term issues relating to the health of other species.
Innovative Research is a US based, worldwide distributor of a vast array of animal and human biological products ranging from human serum to cyno monkey plasma. You can find out more about these valuable research materials by visiting our website at https://www.innov-research.com or by calling us direct at 888.660.6866.